Saturday, March 22, 2014

Matcha (green tea) chocolate marshmallows


One healthy recipe here and now we’re back to sugar!  I’m addicted…to making marshmallows.  I find all that whisking quite relaxing and very satisfying for some reason.  I love that moment when the hot syrup hits the meringue and it all fluffs up!  Pure beauty!  Ok – maybe I’m getting a little too excited about hot sugar water!

Anyway, back to the marshmallows.  The green tea and chocolate balance out the sugar perfectly so that the sweetness doesn't overwhelm you.  These are my favourite so far!



The basic recipe is similar to the one that I’ve used before for this and this.  Here is it again in full (adapted from here).



Matcha chocolate marshmallows

What I used for the marshmallows:
1 cup water (240ml)
450g caster sugar
16-17g gelatine 
¼ cup water (60 ml)
2 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla
4 tbs cocoa and 4 tbs hot water
2 tbs matcha green tea and 2 tbs hot water

What I used to coat the marshmallows:
3 tbsp cornflour
3 tbsp icing sugar

The prep work:
1. Mix the 3 tablespoonfuls of corn flour and sugar together.
2. Grease and line a 20cm square cake tin (removable base tins are advisable).  I lined the tin with ordinary baking paper.  Grease the lining again and generously sprinkle the corn flour-icing sugar mix over the lined cake tin.
3. Put the 60ml of water in a bowl sprinkle the gelatine over the water and mix lightly.  The mixture will solidify slightly.  Set aside.
4. Boil some water and mix the 4 tablespoons of cocoa and 4 tablespoons of hot water in a bowl.  Set aside.
5. Mix 2 tablespoons of matcha tea and 2 tablespoons of hot water in another bowl.  Set aside.
6. Place the 2 egg whites in a clean bowl.
7. Take out a second bowl and set aside.

The real work:
1. Over a low heat, place the 240ml water in a pot and add the sugar.  I tend to put the thermometer in at this stage and stir around it until the sugar has dissolved.
2. Turn the heat higher and let the syrup boil (no stirring required) until the temperature of the syrup reaches 122C.  This is known as the hard ball stage. 
Another method of checking that the syrup has reached this stage is by taking a teaspoonful of the syrup and dropping it into a bowl of cool water.  The syrup dropped in the bowl should turn into a hard ball.
3. While the syrup is boiling, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks appear.
4. When the syrup has reached the correct temperature, carefully pour the boiling syrup in a steady stream into the whipped egg whites, while whisking at the same time.
As I'm right-handed, I tend to hold the whisk with my left hand while pouring the hot syrup in with my right hand.  Here’s where a stand mixer comes in handy!
5. Heat the gelatine mixture in the microwave until it has dissolved.  Add this to the meringue mixture.  Keep beating the egg whites.
6. Keep beating until the mixture becomes thick and gloopy.  I think this took at least 10 minutes.  My hand-held mixer (and my arm!) starts to struggle a little at this stage.  The mixture is still slightly pourable, but only just.
7. Pour half the meringue mixture into another bowl.  Whisk the vanilla and cocoa mixture into half the meringue mixture.
8. Whisk the matcha mixture into the other half of the meringue mixture in the 1st bowl.
9. Pour the cocoa meringue mixture back into the matcha mixture.  Lightly swirl the cocoa mixture into the matcha mixture.
10. Pour the swirled mixture into the tin and smooth the surface.
11. Generously sprinkle with the corn flour-icing sugar mixture.
12. Leave to set overnight or for at least 6 hours.

Once the marshmallow mixture has set, here's the part I find tricky.  Cutting it nicely.  I've tried using kitchen scissors with greased blades and also a greased knife.  I still can't decide which one is easier to do.  The greased knife is winning for now!


34 comments:

  1. ok.. I love your recipes and want to eat them all..so... given i am trying to reclaim my pants and lose some weight... maybe it is good that you are on the other side of the world and i can't just pop over to try some tasty treats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could send you some tasty treats Matt!

      Delete
  2. I adore matcha and have been adding it to my morning smoothies lately. Usually I see it paired with adzuki though, so the use of chocolate is neato (especially since I'm a huge choc demon!) -- brava! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matcha does have a unique flavour and I find it does go very well with chocolate! :-) A good excuse to eat more chocolate!

      Delete
  3. I adore matcha and have been adding it to my morning smoothies lately. Usually I see it paired with adzuki though, so the use of chocolate is neato (especially since I'm a huge choc demon!) -- brava! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great! And it sounds like a good combination! :D Ipve never tried matcha, i have like 2 spoons of it to try and i should but when i do it it will be over and i dont want that hahahahah
    My version of marshmallows doesnt have egg whites,i have to try yours one day to see if there is a difference :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen some marshmallow recipes without egg whites! I'll have to try those too to see how different they are to the ones I make.

      Delete
  5. Now this is the most interesting marshmallows I have ever seen! From some angle, it looks like mini chiffon cakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm....chiffon cakes...another favourite of mine :-)

      Delete
  6. These are beautiful! They look like my favorite flavor combo - mint chocolate chip! Ooh, now that would be an awesome marshmallow flavor to make... =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo yeah, mint and chocolate! That sounds yummy!

      Delete
  7. Looks so pretty, irresistible and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These look so tasty and creative. Love the green tea. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is awesome!!! I am always looking for more matcha recipes, yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathleen. Thanks for stopping by. Have a good weekend!

      Delete
  10. Wow! This looks great and irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  11. beautiful marbling marshmallows :D.
    Love Matcha but so expensive here :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Matcha isn't cheap here either - wish it was cheaper!

      Delete
  12. I have never made marshmallow...this look so pretty and so exotic...love the color and the pictures are awesome.
    Thanks for the recipe Fiona...hope you are having a wonderful week :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look so pretty - I love that you made matcha marshmallows! One of my favorite flavors - they sound incredible :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the recipe, hope you are enjoying your week :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. You what? You made marshmallows???? That's really amazing! I've never really heard of many who made marshmallows, although I know someone must have made them and put them on the shelves for sale, LOL! :-P It does looks gorgeous and you made them sound like a breeze to make! WOW! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christy, it's addictive. Once you start making them, you can't stop! :-)

      Delete
  16. I'm addicted to homemade marshmallows too. These look amazing!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. wow, home-made marshmallows! that's really awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...